• Main
  • Unsolved Crimes
    • Unsolved Crimes
  • Missing
    • Missing
  • Solved Murders
    • Acushnet
    • Berkley
    • Carver
  • More...
    • Main
    • Unsolved Crimes >
      • Unsolved Crimes
    • Missing >
      • Missing
    • Solved Murders >
      • Acushnet
      • Berkley
      • Carver
  • Main
Unsolved Crimes
  • Unsolved Crimes
Missing
  • Missing
Solved Murders
  • Acushnet
  • Berkley
  • Carver
Picture
  • Dartmouth
Image description
                       ​           Hawthorn Country Club            
​    
 
  On May 7, 2023, at approximately 1:30 PM Dartmouth Fire District 2 responded to a structure fire at the former Hawthorn County Club located at 970 Tucker Road. According to witnesses two (2) youths were reported seen running from the building just prior to the fire.
   Investigators have determined the fire was ‘intentionally set’.
​

Suspect Apprehended   
   On March 28, 2024, Shawn Lee Medeiros (31) of New Bedford was charged with one (1) count of burning a building. Shawn was present at the Hawthorne Country Club moving tables and chairs to a different location allegedly at the owner's request. The owners however deny knowing Shawn and never hired him to do any work.
                                                    Missing Firearm          Dartmouth Police Department      
 
       On October 1, 2013, Dartmouth Police Sgt. Frank Condez reported his department issued firearm missing from his locker inside the Dartmouth Police station.
  The incident report taken by Lt. Zielinski stated Sgt. Condez opened his locker shortly before 8AM on October 1 to retrieve his duty belt and firearm and noticed the gun was not in the holster. Sgt. Condez hung up his duty belt with the gun in the holster at the end of his shift at 4PM on September 30 and went home for the night.
    The police chief, Chief Timothy Lee,
requested the locker be processed for fingerprints and examined the lock and a canine officer and his dog searched the station, but the firearm was not located. An outside consultant was hired to investigate the incident. The consultant's investigation has never been made public. The video surveillance system inside the police station wasn't functioning that day but was working the day before and day after.
     On March 14, 2017, the Dartmouth Select Board Deputy Chief Robert Szala was appointed police chief after Chief Lee's departure. Chief Szala in open meeting with the Select Board stated the investigation was active and ongoing. The Massachusetts State Police and the Bristol County District Attorney's Office were involved. The firearm has never been located nor has there been an official finding. 
        Those involved in the incident, and the alleged culprit, are now retired. S
gt. Condez has since died.        ​
Image description
                                    Crash Site Theft                          
      On February 2, 2007, at 7:17 PM a single-engine airplane bound for New Bedford Regional Airport from Boston missed its first approach to the runway and circled the airport to attempt a second landing. The airplane then crashed about 3 miles west of the New Bedford airport just over the Dartmouth line at 7:45 PM in dense fog and rain. 
  The crash killed the occupants who were identified as 
Peter Karoly (53), his wife Lauren Angstadt (51) and Michael Milot (23) also a licensed pilot. The plane was owned by PK Leasing LLC in Allentown, Pennsylvania, but registered to Peter Karoly.
   
The crash site was located, and all the major components of the aircraft were able to be recovered. 

Unsolved Theft  
   After the remains of the aircraft were recovered, it was determined a diamond ring was missing from Lauren's finger. An investigation commenced, many of those who responded to the crash were questioned, many reported seeing the ring on the finger. Others said they never saw the ring. The scene was searched again; diamond ring has even been recovered. It's believed someone took the ring.  

Crash Findings 2007 
  ​The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) determined the crash was caused by pilot error. Federal investigators concluded they could not determine who was in control of the plane at the time of the crash. A National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) report issued on December 20, 2007, it stated Peter Karoly was probably in the left cockpit seat, but that could not be determined for certain. The plane can be flown from both seats, though the left seat is the primary pilot position.
Image description
                          Sol-e-Mar Hospital      
​ 
​      In 1923 Amelia H. Jones (1849-1935) owned a 166-acre farm at the bottom of Buttonwood Road near Clark's Cove. She donated the farm and $1 million to be used exclusively as a hospital for children with serious health problems.
    The Grand Opening of the hospital was on June 23 1932, and had a capacity of 40 children.

This new children's hospital was inspired by Amelia’s childhood trip with her father to Portugal, where she visited a children’s hospital named Sol e Mar, Portuguese for “sun and sea.” 
      
​Sol e Mar used a holistic approach, including sun and salt water therapies as well as a nutritional program of fresh fruits and vegetables.  The hospital offered tutoring to make sure that the children continued to learn as they recuperated. Over the years its capacity grew from 40 to 80 children and later became a branch of St. Luke's Hospital. With advancements in pediatric medicine requiring fewer hospitalizations, Sol e Mar closed in 1953.
​ 
Discalced Carmelite Nuns Convent 1965-1987
     In 1965, the Carmelite Nuns of Boston purchased the defunct Sol-e-Mar hospital and created another branch of their order. On December 11, 1966 the nuns cut themselves off society. The nuns took the vow not to see or be seen by outsiders except for monthly visits from family. They lived a life of contemplation and prayer, communicating with the outside world by handwritten notes or through a metal screen. The term discalced means they wear sandals with no stockings instead of shoes. The word comes from Latin "calceus" meaning shoe. 
​
Explosion and Fire 1985
   On March 10, 1985, at 8AM a fire triggered a gas explosion at the convent that injured nine (9) firefighters and displaced eight (8) nuns. Firefighters had extinguished the blaze in the basement quickly, but flames had damaged a natural gas pipe in a utility room, causing the room to fill with natural gas. A crew re-entered the room and switched on a light, which caused the explosion. The blast melted the helmets of firefighters, blew out windows and sent fire billowing through a door. The thickness of the building’s masonry and concrete walls prevented major structural damage. An unidentified accelerant was used to start a series of small fires in a cellar. 
     Dartmouth Police Patrolman Joseph Correia arrested Sister Maria Gartner (39) at the scene and charged her with setting a total of five (5) fires at the convent. She was ordered to undergo psychiatric observation at Bridgewater State Hospital. 

Case Update 1985 : Incompetent to Stand Trial
​​  On March 28, 1985, Sister Maria Gartner was found incompetent to stand trial.

 
Convent Closes, Bodies Removed from Cemetery, Property Sold 1987  
    The numbers of faithful nuns declined, and the convent closed. Prior to the sale of the convent, four (4) nuns had been buried on the property; their bodies were removed and interred at the Nun's Circle in Sacred Heart Cemetery in New Bedford. 
   In 1987 condo-style housing called "Sol-e-mar" was constructed. 
Picture

July 24 1968

Picture

Monster Ride

Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
                            Lincoln Park 1894-1987        Unsolved Arsons
​The Beginning 1894-1940    
    Before being named "Lincoln Park" it used to be known as "Midway Park" or "Westport Park". The name "Lincoln Park" was chosen by a lottery. 
The Union Street Railway Company created Lincoln Park on July 4, 1894, as a way to connect Fall River to New Bedford. Forty-six (46) acres of land in Dartmouth was purchased and began being used as a picnic area. In 1901 A fire severely damaged the park, destroying the theater and several other buildings.

​
​Roller Coast Accidents   
  The first of many accidents started in 1964. The first caused the death of a man who fell off the roller coaster after standing up as it ascended the first lift.
     On July 23, 1968, just after 10PM, the rear car of one of the trains became disconnected while ascending final hill. The cart then rolled backwards causing the cart to derail sideways, dumping nine (9) people ten (10) feet to the ground below.

Arson 1978    
   In September of 1978, a fire destroyed two (2) buildings in the park. It took 60 firefighters from Dartmouth and Westport to bring the blaze under control. 

Arson 1982 & "Himalaya Ride" Accident
    In May 1982, another fire in the “Monster Ride”. Police believed a rider stepped out of a slow-moving car inside the darkened building and set fire to wall coverings among the various monster displays. It’s believed the rider then stepped back into the car and exited the ride before the fire was noticed.
   In June 1983, six (6) people were injured on the “Himalaya Ride” when one of the large painted backdrops fell on the riders. 
   
Change in Park Ownership 1986 
    In June 1986, Lincoln Park was purchased by Jay Hoffman for $5 Million. He planned to invest $2.5 Million on renovations. The bowling alley was removed and converted into a full arcade. In June of 1986, Lincoln Park announced the park’s opening would be delayed. There had been delays in the delivery and installation of new rides.

​Roller Coaster Accidents with Death, Park Closes
   On August 17, 1986, Michael Lynch (27), an electrician, was killed, after falling 55-feet, while performing maintenance work on the roller coaster.
    On November 3, 1986, plans were developed to move the carousel to Battleship Cove, Fall River. It is one of several things sold off to try to raise revenue to operate the park.
     On September 29, 1987, four people were injured when the braking system on the roller coaster failed. The braking system jammed, and the cars jackknifed. This was the final ride for the roller coaster. The cars remained frozen in time on the tracks until vandals tore them off years later.
​     On December 3, 1987, Lincoln Park closed, the park owed $48,000 in back taxes and $13,000 to the town for police details. Almost all of the 48 rides in the park were dismantled and auctioned off.

Foreclosure 1988 & ​More Fires in the 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997  
  On April 9, 1988, the park property was foreclosed on by the Shawmut Bank after it failed to sell for $3,500,000. The bank begins to auction off anything of value on the property.

  During the 1990's numerous fires occurred, the first fire burning 10 buildings. In 1991 another fire at the park the Ballroom, and Pavilion buildings destroyed. The fire was caused by two teenagers playing with fire in a building called the taproom.

   On February 2, 1992, Leonard Hebert, an independent real estate broker, buys the property for $1 million with plans to restore and reopen it.

   On July 13, 1992, A fire consumes the skating rink and bowling alley.  Development plans are scrapped because there isn't really nothing left to rebuild. It's not clear if Hebert sold the property back to Shawmut Bank or simply defaulted and let it revert to them. In 1993 another arson fire consumed the food buildings.
    In 1993 Bronhard Trust buys the park from Shawmut Bank for $265,000. 
   In 1997 another arson fire, the warehouse and maintenance building. 

Arson 2003 
   On September 28, 2002, the park is sold to Midway Realty, LLC for $1.85 million. In 2003 fire consumes an empty house on the property, the former house of the park keeper. 
Image description
                                    Amati Diamond                Unsolved Theft 1947              
​Alfred Damon Runyan 1880-1946 (known as Damon Runyun)
     Damon was a major sports reporter, columnist, and short story writer whose use of humor created a unique style that earned him a wide and loyal readership. Damon married Ellen Egan in May 1911, they had two children.
    Runyon frequented the bars and, during Prohibition, the speakeasies, he gathered an eclectic group of acquaintances—politicians, entertainers, reporters, and gangsters. Many of these became models for the "guys and dolls" who peopled his short stories. The late hours and frequent out-of-town assignments created problems in Runyon's marriage, and they separated in 1928.

Patrice Amati del Grande (Runyon) 1912-1983
        Patrice Runyon was born Patrice Gridier in Dallas Texas. Runyon dubs her a "Spanish Countess", she was a Mexican girl he had first met in Jaurez, Mexico while covering the Pancho Villa raids in 1916 and reconnected with her once again in New York.
         Runyon had promised her in Mexico that if she would complete the education, he paid for her, he would find her a dancing job in New York. She began dancing and performing under the name Patrice Amati del Grande.
​         She was Runyons' mistress, then later his companion after he separated from his wife Ellen. Ellen Runyon died on November 9, 1931, Runyon and Patrice married on July 7, 1932.

The Amati Diamond 
   During the marriage to Runyon, Patrice begins to tell everyone that she owns the Amati diamond, the world`s tenth (10th) largest diamond in the world (31 carats). This gem gets insured by Pennsylvania-based Alliance Insurance Company for $100,000.
                      The diamond only exists on paper; it has never been seen. 

Patrice Divorces Runyon 1946, Marries Richard Coffin 1946
  The marriage between Patrice and Runyon ended in June 1946 when Patrice left him for a younger man, Richard N. Coffin (1923-1965). Even after their marriage was dissolved in June 1946, he remained generous, replacing her as the executor of his estate in a new will he drafted, but still guaranteeing her half of all the income from his literary works for the rest of her life. He also stipulated that she could keep the house in Florida. Patrice marries Richard in August 1946 he was the manager of A.E.Coffin Press in New Bedford.
     On December 10, 1946, Runyon died of cancer. 


Patrice Resides in Dartmouth 
  Patrice purchased the house at 165 Mishaum Point with monies from her divorce from Runyon. 

Dartmouth Armed Robbery 1947 
   On November 18, 1947, Richard Coffin, and Maria Patrice Amati were confronted by three (3) masked men upon their arrival at home at 165 Mishaum Point from a trip to Boston. Two (2) of the armed men subdued Richard in the garage while he was putting their 1947 convertible away. Richard was struck in back of the head with the butt of the weapon and suffered a minor injury requiring stitches.  Patrice told police that even before being told to open the concealed wall safe, which she was the only one who knew the combination, located in an upstairs bedroom.  However, Patrice admitted that 72-hrs prior there was a party at the house and she showed many guests the wall safe. The masked men asked about specific pieces of jewelry, including one very valuable piece which was in New York being repaired. The thieves allegedly stole $200,000 worth of jewels, including the famous Amati diamond, now reported to be the eleventh (11th) largest diamond in the world. Patrice presented insurance papers as proof of the diamond's existence.

   The armed men fled from the scene by taking the Coffin’s 1947 convertible, which was later recovered in Fall River. Three (3) men were later taken into custody. During the investigation of the robbery, they provided specific details on the items that were stolen, neither of them saw such a diamond of that size.  All three (3) men were even offered a reduced sentence if the diamond was returned, however they maintained they never saw the diamond nor ever stole a diamond from the house.
​
     On November 4, 1948, Paul J Colicci of Providence R.I. and Joseph Cairo of Cranston R.I. were charged with Robbery, Assault & Battery with intent to kill, Breaking and Entering and Larceny in the nighttime, and witness intimidation. Joseph Cairo was already in jail on unrelated charges and plead guilty. On March 2, 1949, Colicci was found guilty and was sentenced to 10-15 years in prison.

    On May 19, 1950, a third suspect was identified as William Conroy. He was later arrested in Ohio and transported back to Massachusetts; he was never charged. In December 1954, Anthony Roselli was arrested. At trial he was found guilty of robbery. 

   A June 1948 news article reported the insurance company had offered a $2500 reward for leads. The insurer, identified as Pennsylvania-based Alliance Insurance Company, said that the stolen jewelry was only insured for $60,000. Oddly, the widely reported value of the stolen items was $200,000, half of which was for the supposed Amati diamond.
   In 1948 The Town of Dartmouth Board of Assessors sent a $7,428 tax bill for the $200,000 in jewelry reported stolen in November 1947. Although not recovered, the assessors stated that under law it constituted taxable personal property even though the town was unaware of its existence before the robbery.
 
Picture

Oakland Tribune

Picture

Bedroom, view of shows closet where safe is located.

Picture
Picture
Patrice & Richard Coffin Divorce
   On August 3, 1957 Patrice files for divorce from Richard, which was finalized on February 12, 1958. Patrice changes her last name back to "Runyon". In her divorce filing she valued the house at 165 Mishaum Point at $100,000 and the art and furnishings at an additional $100,000. She claimed the trust fund left to her by Damon was "nearly exhausted"--although she did have an ongoing income stream from his royalties for works such as "Guys and Dolls". In a 1957 newspaper interview she said the house had been on the market for a year for $125,000. She also said she planned to move to Cuba after her affairs were settled. 
    
  In 1968 Patrice made a new will with Father William Martin Gallagher of South Dartmouth (her neighbor at the time) becoming a primary beneficiary. That included “any and all jewels“. However, the copy in her file is unexecuted.

Dartmouth Armed Robbery 1970  
    The Tampa Tribune reported on Monday October 26, 1970
  
"Police said yesterday they were seeking three (3) men who robbed the widow of author Damon Runyon of more than $50,000 in jewels and valuables. A foreign car belonging to Mrs. Runyon was also taken during the robbery but was found in a lane by police several blocks from her Mishaum Point home.  A neighbor called police early Saturday (Oct 25, 1970) morning after Mrs. Runyon managed to free herself from bonds and gag. Mrs. Runyon was robbed at the house once before in 1947. Police withheld information on the weekend robbery for more than 10 hours while the investigation was launched."

Patrice leaves Dartmouth 1971
  Patrice remained living at the Mishaum Point home until 1971, when she was hired as caretaker for Whispering Pines, the Narragansett Rhode Island estate of beer magnate William P Considine. Considine was the vice president of Narragansett Brewery.  
​   Patrice died on September 27, 1983 at age 71. 

Author James Breslin - Damon Runyon : A Life (1991) 
    James Breslin was a journalist and author and knew Damon Runyon. In 1991 he wrote a book about the life of Damon Runyon.​ James described Damon Runyon as a con artist. 

       Breslin claims "He (Runyon) then told her (Patrice) that she had a 30-carat diamond ring, the Amati diamond. That was her family name -- Amati from Grenada or someplace. She was from Juarez! They got an insurance guy who came into Lindy's and began to hang around places, because if you hung around with Runyon and the gangsters there were a lot of chorus women, so why wouldn't you come in? Illegitimate people were all over the place, trying to get in on the party. The insurance guy said that absolutely she had the diamond. He had seen it someplace and he insured it -- $200,000 -- listed in the "Great Diamonds of the World." I asked him, "How could they have listed that diamond?" and they said, "Because it was owned by a prominent person who called up and said, 'I have this diamond,' and we listed it."  In 1947 "She's held up and she reports to the police among the things missing is the Amati diamond. They catch the two fellows and they go on trial. Their lawyer says to them, "You know, if you give that big diamond back, that family diamond of hers, it would make things a little easier for me. Maybe I can make a deal." So they said, "We've got no diamond. I've told you, everything we got in the holdup we told you about. There was no diamond involved, no big diamond." The lawyer said, "Well, it's on the sheet, you know, and they've got the insurance,"
      "Well, they got convicted and went away based on the fact, but partly on this diamond. Runyon's widow got $200,000 from the insurance company and the guys went to jail, and the big gangster in their area, Raymond Patriarca in Providence, R.I., said, "Where's the diamond? They get a diamond that big and they don't even come and see me. Who in the hell do they think they are?" Now, the guys are afraid to come out of prison when their time is up because Patriarca here is screaming for the diamond. And it all started with nothing! The whole thing was an illusion."
  
Picture

Quidnessett Memorial Cemetery, North Kingstown R.I.

                                        Bergeron Farm Shooting 1927  
Bergeron Farm 
     The was located on Old Fall River Road next to Bergeron Lane, close to the Westport line. At the time the farm was owned by Mary Santos who lived on Clinton Street in New Bedford.
The farm consisted of a small house, a large barn and several smaller buildings. 


Max Fox (x-1966) 
    Max Fox was a local gangster, but his involvement in illegal liquor was widely known at the time. In 1925 he was charged with 'liquor keeping" which was from a raid on liquor at Salters Point, Dartmouth, for which he would serve three (3) months in jail.
​

Dartmouth January 1927
    Nearly fifty (50) men were at the farm relaxing and sampling the liquor.  Approximately twenty (20) men allegedly part of a Providence gang quietly entered the farm and made their presence known by drawing their weapons; as a result, shots were fired.
   During the shooting Max Fox made his way to the residence of Dartmouth Police Chief Thomas Barnes, who resided on a dairy farm on Old Fall River Road.  Fox demanded assistance at the farm, the chief then notified his officers on duty to respond to the request for assistance. Chief Barnes informed the responding officers that the incident involved someone stealing chickens, which was later deemed not true. 
     After requesting assistance, Fox then returned to the farm and continued in the gun fight. Shortly, three (3) Dartmouth Police officers (Reynolds, Choquette, Faulkner) and a Constable (Wordell) arrived. Hearing the gunfire, the officers were unprepared for such an incident, they took up a position on the edge of the clearing on the laneway. Realizing their predicament the officers remained hidden behind the stone wall and attempted to return fire but had little ammunition. The officers saw the Providence gang members removing cases of liquor from the barn and placing them in their cars and trucks. Fox’s men were taking the cases from the vehicles and placing them back into the barn.
  The men from Providence left the farm empty-handed. Max and his men 
were able to secure the liquor from being stolen. In daylight the next day many blood trails were found only one person was injured, Jack Burgo. Mr. Burgo was the cook at the farm and was shot in the head but survived. Later from his hospital bed, Mr. Burgo was interviewed about the events that took place at the farm. Surprisingly he claimed he couldn’t remember any details due to the morphine for pain management. It was later determined Mr. Burgo was bribed for his silence, although it’s not known by whom.
   Early the next morning Max and fifteen (15) of his associates were captured at Downey’s Garage at Kempton and O’Neida Streets in New Bedford. The men were arraigned before Special Justice George Gardiner in 3rd District Court on charges of being suspicious persons and assault with intent to murder Mr. Burgo. Each man pleaded not guilty on the murder charge and were later bailed at $10,000 each. The suspicious persons complaint was dismissed.

Dartmouth Police Chief Resigns March 1, 1927
    An investigation was conducted after the police officers threatened to resign. The officers maintained the opinion that Chief Barnes was in collusion with Max Fox and they had no confidence in the Chief.  On March 1, 1927, Chief Barnes resigned after serving for three (3) years. On May 3, 1927, Joseph Christie was appointed.

Max Fox Convicted 
    Max was sentenced to serve a year in jail for the Bergeron Farm incident. Max maintained his interests in gambling and illegal loans as well as his Metropolitan Motors used car lot on purchase street in New Bedford. This was a useful source for cars and trucks to be used in smuggling on land. Max provided financing, transportation and muscle and invested his profits. 
 
      Fox invested in real estate and became a part owner in the Olympia Building in downtown New Bedford. Max and his wife, Sara (Schwartz), had three daughters, one of the daughters (Ida Fox 1907-1952) married a local politician, Harold H. J. Clasky, for whom the New Bedford park, Clasky Common park was named in his honor. 
Picture

Bergeron Farm, Dartmouth

Picture
  • Fairhaven
Picture

1918 Sword

Picture

Captain William Whitfield

Picture

Manjiro Nakahama

                  Stolen Samurai Sword    
​
 
    On July 4, 1918, Viscount Ishii, Japanese Ambassador to the United States, presented a Samurai sword to the Town of Fairhaven, the gift of Dr. Toichiro Nakahama of Tokyo, in commemoration of the rescue of his father, Manjiro Nakahama, by Captain William H. Whitfield of Fairhaven. ​
      On September 1, 1977, the sword was stolen from the Millicent Library and has never been recovered. 
Dr. Tadashi Kikuoka, Director of Japanese Studies at Seton Hall University, visited Fairhaven on several occasions and returned to his university with the intention of starting a fund-raising campaign. Monies obtained would be used to replace with another sword. 
       On June 12, 1982, Dr. Kikuoka presented to the Town of Fairhaven the second Samurai sword on behalf of the Japanese Studies Association, Seton Hall University. 


Manjiro Nakahama Story 
    Manjiro (14) was a poor fisherman who lived in the small village of Nakanohama (now a part of the city Tosashimizu) on the Japanese island of Shikoku.  Trying to help support his family after his father died, the young Manjiro got a job on a fishing boat with four other men. The boat got caught up in the Black Current off the coast and the group managed to get to a small, deserted island inhabited by birds which became a large part of their food supply.  The island, called Torishima or “Bird Island” was their home for several months until one day they saw a ship in the distance.
   ​The ship was a New Bedford whaler the “John Howland” whose crew was looking for fresh meat to supplement their food supply. The captain, William Whitfield (1804-1886) of Fairhaven, rescued the group.  Unable to bring them home because of the strict isolationist policies of the Japanese government, they continued their whaling voyage.  In Hawaii, the other men stayed and found work, but Manjiro decided to go back to Fairhaven with Captain William Whitfield. 
      Arriving in Fairhaven in 1843, Manjiro went to school, learned to read and write, learned the arts of navigation and barrel-making and even went on some whaling voyages.  He helped Mrs. Whitfield on the farm until 1849 when the thoughts of home and family became so strong that Manjiro decided to try and get back to Japan. He resided in Fairhaven from 1843-1846.

      Manjiro and a friend from New Bedford went to the gold fields in California where he saved enough for the passage to Hawaii.  Eventually he and his old shipmates made it back to Japan in 1851 and was promptly arrested.  The other men went back to their villages. 
     
Manjiro did see his family again and because of his time here proceeded to become a samurai, achieve the distinction of having a last name, and became of a professor of what would become Tokyo University.  Manjiro came back to Fairhaven in the 1870s for one day while on his way to Europe with a diplomatic mission.
     Manjiro married in Japan and had several children, the eldest of how is Dr. Toichiro Nakahama, the donor of the sword which commemorates the rescue of his father and the kindness shown him during his residence in Fairhaven. 
     Manjiro Nakahama (1827-1898) died at the age of seventy-one (71).
​
Picture
                                                                                Riverside Cemetery
       On July 4, 1918, Viscount Ishii, the ambassador from Japan to the US, was in Fairhaven to present the town with a Samurai sword on behalf of Toichiro Nakahama, the son of Manjiro. After the sword presentation ceremony in the high school stadium, Ambassador Ishii visited the grave of Capt. William Whitfield in Riverside Cemetery. The man standing to the right of Ishii is Massachusetts Governor Calvin Coolidge, who later became U.S. Vice President (1921-1923) and then President (1923-1929) 
  • Freetown
Picture

42 Water Street

Picture

                            42 Water Street                Unsolved Arson 2026                        On April 28, 2026, at approximately 1:38 AM Freetown Fire Department responded to 42 Water Street for a reported structure at the vacant house. This most recent fire has been deemed as suspicious and is the third fire at this structure this month. There were two (2) other fire at this structure in 2022. The cause is being investigated by the State Fire Marshal’s Office, as well as the Freetown Police and Fire Departments. 

Picture
Picture
Picture

14 Washburn Road

                           14 Washburn Road              Unsolved Arson 2023 

      On May 21, 2023, at approximately 6:30 PM Freetown Fire Department responded to 14 Washburn Road for a structure fire. The abandoned house was fully engulfed in flames when the fire department arrived. The 200-year-old house was allegedly under renovations, however had no utilities. The fire was immediately deemed suspicious.

Picture
Image description
                            Christopher Pennenga        Unsolved Crash 2020             
      On September 1, 2020, approximately 1AM Christopher A. Pennenga (35) was struck by a motor vehicle while walking in the 100-block of County Road. Police arrived and located Christopher lying in the roadway suffering from significant injuries. He was transported to St. Luke's Hospital and succumbed to his injuries. The vehicle involved fled the scene.


Investigation 
  Investigators are interested in a dark colored sedan with damage to its tire, wheel well, or undercarriage.
Picture
Picture
                          Monsour's        Unsolved Arson 1999               
     On April 18, 1999, at approximately 1:22 AM Freetown Fire Department responded to a structure fire at the former Monsour's Town and County Restaurant located on County Road. 
   The ATF and Massachusetts State Fire Marshals Office investigated the fire and determined it was arson.  Accelerant detections dogs detected accelerants on several areas on the outside of the northern end of the building. There was no evidence of accelerants was found inside the restaurant.


  The owner, Daniel Barbour claimed in 2001 in a Standard Times interview: "They've never invested their time to bring the arsonist to court. The ATF and state fire marshal, five years ago, identified a strong possible suspect. In those five years, the community has done nothing to bring that person in front of the proper jurisdictional channels," Investigators at the time determined it was arson and conducted extensive interviews, there is no evidence to sustain a conviction.

"Gentleman's Club"
      The suspicious fire occurred five (5) days after the Board of Selectmen signed an entertainment license that will allow Mansour's to offer nude dancing at the restaurant, two (2) years after the Barbour's sued the town for denying them that same license.
The town settled the Barbour's lawsuit on March 16, 1999, to the outrage of many residents who vowed to continue fighting the restaurant's nude-dancing plans even though there was no further legal recourse.
   After the fire, the owners reapplied for the license to rebuild as a strip club, they were rejected by the Zoning Board of Appeals. 
    
The Barbours sued in Land Court and the ruling upheld the building inspector's and the Zoning Board's decision that the Barbours had to comply with Freetown's zoning bylaws relative to reconstruction of fire-damaged structures.
    In 2011, five (5) years after the arson, the 
Mansour's site was cleared of debris. 
  • Middleborough
Picture

William and John Coyle

Picture
Picture
                         John & William Coyle                
     On June 5 1959 Philadelphia Police Officer James F. Kane (33) was shot and killed while walking his beat on North Sydenham Street by two (2) brothers, John and William Coyle. Officer Kane caught the men stealing milk from doorsteps of houses.
   On June 6, 1959 John (24) and William (22) then carjacked a vehicle occupied by William Sedgwick who had just dropped off his wife and daughters. 

   Mr. Sedgwick was tied up and placed in the back seat of the vehicle, then they fled north, driving 300 miles back to Massachusetts. For several days the brothers, along with Mr. Sedgwick remained hidden in the vehicle while parked in a wooded area.

   On Monday June 15, 1959, now out of money, the brothers decided the rob Kennedy's Package Store on Route 28 in Middleboro. They entered the store and encountered Mrs. Mary Kennedy, the only employee on duty. They tied her up and began to rummage thru the store. The brothers took cash, several cartons of cigarettes, and several bottles of liquor. A ringing sound went off in the store, and Mrs. Kennedy claimed it was a burglar alarm, causing the brothers to flee. Mrs. Kennedy was able to free herself and called the Middleboro Police at 9:45 AM to report the robbery and provide a description of the men and the vehicle.

  Rudolph Silva, a former police officer, had been driving by the scene of the robbery when he saw the two men crossing the road, and their parked car. The vehicle had Pennsylvania license plates 184-104. He witnessed the men run down Pine Street. After seeing a Middleboro Police cruiser traveling in the opposite direction, Silva followed the cruiser to the scene of the robbery to report what he witnessed to Patrolman William Briggs.

  Additional police resources began to arrive at the scene of the robbery, Middleboro Police Chief William Gardiner, Patrolman Daniel Guertin and Massachusetts State Trooper Daniel Sullivan. The officers, assisted by the information Rudolph Silva provided, they 
drove down Pine Street a very short way, where they observed an area where a vehicle had exited a wooded road.

   Chief Gardiner blocked the roadway while Officer Guertin and Trooper Sullivan traveled down the wooded roadway on foot. Approximately 100 feet they came upon a clearing and observed two (2) men sitting in a vehicle that matched the earlier description.

The officers approached the vehicle and ordered the suspects to exit the vehicle and surrender.  The doors of the vehicle opened and the Coyle brothers exited the vehicle armed with handguns. The brothers then fired upon the officers. The officers fired more than thirty (30) rounds, before the Coyle brothers fled further into the woods heavily armed. Mr. Sedgwick was located in the back seat of the vehicle, unharmed. That night, approximately 11:30 PM the Coyle brothers broken into a residence and remained for the night. 

   That night began the largest search in Massachusetts history. Roadblocks were established for all traffic heading north and south on Route 28. In all, some three hundred (300) men were involved in the search. It involved state and local police, FBI, volunteers, and a military helicopter from Otis Air Force Base on the Cape.

  On Wednesday morning just before 9AM , the Coyle brothers w
ere spotted “crawling in the woods” behind the garage of Mrs. Victoria Canova. The police were called. As police units arrived on the scene, another gun battle ensued near the junction of Pine Street and Route 28.
​
 They ignored a call to surrender, and they fired upon the police officers. As shots rang out, one of the brothers, William, was struck in the head. He’d been hit several times, both in the body and the head. John surrender at that point. William was transported to the hospital, however was declared dead at 10:20 AM. 
William’s body lay unclaimed in Egger’s Funeral Home, 61 Pearl Street,  for several days. Ultimately, with John’s permission, it was interred in a family plot in Philadelphia. 

​  John Coyle was arraigned in Wareham Fourth District Court before Judge L. Francis Callahan, Jr. on six (6) felony charges, including assault with intent to murder. He pleaded guilty and was soon extradited back to Philadelphia.
   On November 20, 1959, John Coyle was convicted by a jury in Philadelphia of murder in the first degree, and the punishment was death.
I
n 1975, his death sentence was vacated, and he was ordered to serve life in prison. John Coyle died in 2003. 
  • Taunton
Picture
     On March 19, 2006, The Taunton Fire Department along with eighteen (18) other fire departments responded to the largest fire in Taunton's history, The Taunton State Hospital.
   The main structure was destroyed beyond repair. In May 2009, due to structural concerns, the remaining portions of the fire damaged structure was demolished.

                     Taunton State Hospital                   Unsolved Arson 2006  


​Historical Background:    

   ​ The Taunton State Hospital was established in 1851 as the Taunton Lunatic Asylum constructed on 154-acres on Hodges Avenue. The complex was the second facility for the insane and opened its doors on April 7, 1854, to help alleviate the overcrowding at Worcester State Hospital. Taunton State Hospital was the first in the state to be designed based on the congregate model developed by Dr. Thomas Kirkbride from the Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital.

     When Taunton State Hospital was constructed, the main focus was to house the mentally ill and cure them. Sadly, society generally wanted the mentally ill, children with birth defects or even learning disabilities to disappear. Sending them to a lunatic asylum seemed a perfect place to hide them from public view. Society was ashamed to have a mentally ill, disfigured or disabled person in their family. They felt it reflected on them and their status in their community. Placing them in an asylum was good for the family and the community, and no one cared what the patients thought or felt.

      Like prison, once you were admitted you were locked up and not allowed to leave. Those placed in these mental facilities saw beatings, solitary confinement, dietary neglect, being bound to shackles, the use of electrical shock therapy, and lobotomies.

      Many war veterans who sustained brain injuries or suffered from what today is called PTSD, those with Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s, Tourette Syndrome, alcoholics, even epilepsy and those with eating disorders would be confined to these types of mental asylums. Even women who had panic attacks, bouts of Postpartum Depression, Anxiety, Menstruation-related anger, and chronic fatigue syndrome. 

​       There is no cemetery on the grounds, all the patients who died were buried in the pauper section (section 34) of Mayflower Hill Cemetery.

  • Somerset
​                                      Katarzyna Karnasiewicz & Genevieve Sendor      Unsolved Crash 1930    
       October 18, 1930,​ a group of friends and family were walking home on the shoulder of Route 138 after attending a confirmation service at St. Patrick's Church. A vehicle traveling in the same direction, swerved off the roadway striking the group. After striking the group, the vehicle fled the scene. Witnesses were later able to provide a description. Three (3) victims were left lying in the roadway Genevieve Sendor (10), her mother, Mary Sendor and Katarzyna "Katherine" Karnasiewicz (40). Mary Sendor survived, the others did not. 

Investigation            ​
   
The initial investigation quickly became unsolved. In November 1930 a Fall River resident purchased a used vehicle in Plainfield, Connecticut. After driving it home to Fall River, he began to clean the vehicle. The vehicle had had some scrapes and indications of an impact across the front fender. He called upon Massachusetts Vehicle Inspector Albert Lees to examine the vehicle. The vehicle matched the description the witnesses provided.
   An old Massachusetts registration was located inside the vehicle, indicating Franklin C. DePriest was the previous owner. The search to located Frank began.
    Franklin C. DePriest was a U.S. Navy sailor originally stationed in Connecticut, but transferred to another naval vessel stationed in San Diego, California. He was due to ship out to Hawaii in a few days. Investigators attempted to contact the U.S. Navy to have them assist in the investigation. Naval authorities were asked to hold Franklin so he could be questioned by Massachusetts authorities.
    The U.S. Navy never responded to the requests; Franklin was never questioned by Massachusetts authorities. It remains unknown if Franklin was the driver that night in October, although his vehicle was involved.

Franklin C. DePriest (1903-1942)
  Franklin died on January 24, 1942, in Kentucky then interred in Oak Forest Cemetery, Shannon County, Missouri.
Picture
Picture

St. Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River

Picture

Karnasiewicz Family Plot St. Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River