Captain Joshua Slocum
The boulder was installed in 1958 to mark the place approximately where Captain Joshua Slocum rebuilt an antiquated oyster boat, Spray. The small vessel had been given to Capt. Slocum by Poverty Point resident Capt. Eben Pierce. Capt. Slocum began his rebuilding of the Spray in 1891 and launched his fully overhauled vessel on June 21,1892. Slocum began living aboard the Spray.
On April 24, 1895, Slocum set sail from Boston on a three-year voyage around the world. When landed in Newport, R.I. on June 27, 1898, Slocum became the first man to have sailed around the world alone. On July 3 1895, he sailed the Spray back to Fairhaven. Slocum’s book Sailing Alone Around the World, first published in 1900.
In 1901 he purchased a small farm in West Tisbury on Martha’s Vineyard, after a year and half he didn’t like the quietness and went back to sailing. By 1909 Slocum’s funds were very low and he prepared to sell the house on Martha’s Vineyard.
Mystery Investigation
On November 14, 1909, Slocum set sail for the West Indies for his usual voyage. He was never heard from again; In July 1910 his wife informed the media that she believed he was lost at sea. Joshua Slocum was declared legally dead in 1924.
The boulder was installed in 1958 to mark the place approximately where Captain Joshua Slocum rebuilt an antiquated oyster boat, Spray. The small vessel had been given to Capt. Slocum by Poverty Point resident Capt. Eben Pierce. Capt. Slocum began his rebuilding of the Spray in 1891 and launched his fully overhauled vessel on June 21,1892. Slocum began living aboard the Spray.
On April 24, 1895, Slocum set sail from Boston on a three-year voyage around the world. When landed in Newport, R.I. on June 27, 1898, Slocum became the first man to have sailed around the world alone. On July 3 1895, he sailed the Spray back to Fairhaven. Slocum’s book Sailing Alone Around the World, first published in 1900.
In 1901 he purchased a small farm in West Tisbury on Martha’s Vineyard, after a year and half he didn’t like the quietness and went back to sailing. By 1909 Slocum’s funds were very low and he prepared to sell the house on Martha’s Vineyard.
Mystery Investigation
On November 14, 1909, Slocum set sail for the West Indies for his usual voyage. He was never heard from again; In July 1910 his wife informed the media that she believed he was lost at sea. Joshua Slocum was declared legally dead in 1924.
Mystery Investigation
ALL IS UNVERIFIED
Controversy has risen on the issue of who took their own life in the Armory.
Some claim a Sergeant Delany hung himself from the rafter beam in the second-floor office in the 1920's. Some researchers have now come up with a different name, Sergeant Cuisse, a veteran of WWI. NEITHER CAN BE FOUND
However, local historical lore connects this name to a different conflict. According to regional paranormal research and historical accounts of New Bedford, a Sergeant Cuisse was a veteran of World War I
ALL IS UNVERIFIED
Controversy has risen on the issue of who took their own life in the Armory.
Some claim a Sergeant Delany hung himself from the rafter beam in the second-floor office in the 1920's. Some researchers have now come up with a different name, Sergeant Cuisse, a veteran of WWI. NEITHER CAN BE FOUND
However, local historical lore connects this name to a different conflict. According to regional paranormal research and historical accounts of New Bedford, a Sergeant Cuisse was a veteran of World War I
New Bedford Armory
When staffed by the National Guard, the guardsmen would often report seeing a black-hooded figure. An unseen force that would shove them from behind. Violently slamming of the heavy steel doors, doors open and close on their own. INIDENTIFIED
Mystery Investigation
Historical Background
On July 18, 1901 the New Bedford City Council approved a loan for $125,000 to acquire land and construct an armory. Several sites around the city were considered and much debate about which location was best. The Mayor prevailed and Sycamore and Pleasant Streets was the final site.
In 1902 the city appropriated $38,000 and in 1904 an additional $15,000 making the total expense $178,000. The building was constructed in 1903. The completed building was built as a defensible battalion armory, it was constructed of the most durable materials. The exterior was of native granite, some of which was mined from the ledge upon which the armory stands. The woodwork and wainscoting were of solid cypress, and the staircases were of maple. The Drill Hall with an area of 12,876 sq. ft. it remains the largest uninterrupted floor space in the city.
Pursuant to the Act of 1888, all existing and proposed armories came under the jurisdiction of the State Armory Commission. Nine (9) armories had been built under the Act, and New Bedford was to be the tenth.
The Commonwealth began its official occupancy of the armory on Thursday, March 10, 1904.
In 2004 The Massachusetts National Guard vacated it for more efficient quarters, clearing its rooms of all contents, including artifacts. On March 20, 2009, a two-alarm fire caused extensive damage to the building. The blaze destroyed the attic and third floor and caused extensive smoke and water damage.
City of New Bedford Moves to Purchase Armory from State 2022
The City of New Bedford approached the state in 2016 to explore an arrangement in which the City could take ownership of the building. The City and ultimately negotiated a Purchase and Sale Agreement in which the state would complete necessary structural repairs to the building before transferring it to the City for a purchase price of $10. In April 2022, the City Council unanimously approved the Purchase and Sale Agreement.
When staffed by the National Guard, the guardsmen would often report seeing a black-hooded figure. An unseen force that would shove them from behind. Violently slamming of the heavy steel doors, doors open and close on their own. INIDENTIFIED
Mystery Investigation
Historical Background
On July 18, 1901 the New Bedford City Council approved a loan for $125,000 to acquire land and construct an armory. Several sites around the city were considered and much debate about which location was best. The Mayor prevailed and Sycamore and Pleasant Streets was the final site.
In 1902 the city appropriated $38,000 and in 1904 an additional $15,000 making the total expense $178,000. The building was constructed in 1903. The completed building was built as a defensible battalion armory, it was constructed of the most durable materials. The exterior was of native granite, some of which was mined from the ledge upon which the armory stands. The woodwork and wainscoting were of solid cypress, and the staircases were of maple. The Drill Hall with an area of 12,876 sq. ft. it remains the largest uninterrupted floor space in the city.
Pursuant to the Act of 1888, all existing and proposed armories came under the jurisdiction of the State Armory Commission. Nine (9) armories had been built under the Act, and New Bedford was to be the tenth.
The Commonwealth began its official occupancy of the armory on Thursday, March 10, 1904.
In 2004 The Massachusetts National Guard vacated it for more efficient quarters, clearing its rooms of all contents, including artifacts. On March 20, 2009, a two-alarm fire caused extensive damage to the building. The blaze destroyed the attic and third floor and caused extensive smoke and water damage.
City of New Bedford Moves to Purchase Armory from State 2022
The City of New Bedford approached the state in 2016 to explore an arrangement in which the City could take ownership of the building. The City and ultimately negotiated a Purchase and Sale Agreement in which the state would complete necessary structural repairs to the building before transferring it to the City for a purchase price of $10. In April 2022, the City Council unanimously approved the Purchase and Sale Agreement.
TYPES OF SHADOW PEOPLE – Have you seen one?
Ever caught something moving out of the corner of your eye… a dark shape, a tall figure, or just a fleeting mist? These are the most common forms people report seeing:
The Watcher – Silent, still, just observing; neutral presence.
The Hat Man – Mysterious, distinct figure in a hat – one of the most famous sightings.
The Mist Form – Wispy, energy-like residue, not fully solid.
The Tall Shadow – Large, strong presence; you feel their energy before you see them.
The Quick Mover – Fast, darting, gone in a split second.
Important: Not all shadows are negative! Most are just passing energy or neutral observers.
Protection Mantra: “Only Positive Energy is Welcome Here.”
Ever caught something moving out of the corner of your eye… a dark shape, a tall figure, or just a fleeting mist? These are the most common forms people report seeing:
The Watcher – Silent, still, just observing; neutral presence.
The Hat Man – Mysterious, distinct figure in a hat – one of the most famous sightings.
The Mist Form – Wispy, energy-like residue, not fully solid.
The Tall Shadow – Large, strong presence; you feel their energy before you see them.
The Quick Mover – Fast, darting, gone in a split second.
Important: Not all shadows are negative! Most are just passing energy or neutral observers.
Protection Mantra: “Only Positive Energy is Welcome Here.”